Amur Cork Tree (Phellodendron amurense)
Amur Cork Tree is a member of the citrus family (Rutaceae). Native to Eastern Asia, its derivatives are used to relieve inflammation, pain, and eczema. Modern science has demonstrated its efficacy as an anti-inflammatory1,2,3 and anti-microbial agent4,5,6.
- Cuéllar MJ, et al., Topical anti-inflammatory activity of some Asian medicinal plants used in dermatological disorders. Fitoterapia. 2001 Mar;72(3):221-9.
- Park YK, Chung YS, Kim YS, Kwon OY, Joh TH. Inhibition of gene expression and production of iNOS and TNF-alpha in LPS-stimulated microglia by methanol extract of Phellodendri cortex. Int Immunopharmacol. 2007 Jul;7(7):955-62..
- Xian YF, Mao QQ, Ip SP, Lin ZX, Che CT. Comparison on the anti-inflammatory effect of Cortex Phellodendri Chinensis and Cortex Phellodendri Amurensis in 12-O-tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate-induced ear edema in mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Oct 11;137(3):1425-30.
- Quan H,et al. Potent in vitro synergism of fluconazole and berberine chloride against clinical isolates of Candida albicans resistant to fluconazole.
- Yu HH, et al., Antimicrobial activity of berberine alone and in combination with ampicillin or oxacillin against methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Med Food. 2005;8(4):454-61.